Regular inspections and maintenance will do wonders for your water heating system. In fact, they will even prolong the life of your water heater. So if you are concerned about your investment, you should ensure consistent care of this plumbing appliance. Here are valuable tips to help you!
1. Shut the power off and turn the cold water supply valve off, too. Put a bucket right under the pipe that’s attached to the water heater’s T&P valve. This is found at the side or on top of the heating unit’s tank. Carefully lift the T&P valve’s tab so that you can let some water escape from it. Afterward, let go. If you notice that water still continues to flow out, you have to drain the tank half way. Once you’re done, just remove the screw of the old T&P valve using a wrench. Don’t forget to install a new one.
2. Another maintenance task that you can perform is to attach a hose to the water heater tank’s drain cock. It will let a few gallons of water flow out. Afterward, put a socket onto the hexagonal head of the rod that’s either found on top of the heater or under the top place. Remove the rod next. Replace the anode rod with a new one. Make sure that you’ll wrap it with Teflon tape before you install it then tighten it to prevent it from falling into the tank.
3. Flush the tank completely this time. Doing so will get rid of the sediments that have already accumulated at the bottom of the tank. Open the cold water supply valve for a short time to remove the buildup. Repeat this process until the water that will flow out of the hose is already clean. Shut the drain cock off and refill the tank.
4. Just to ensure that your tank lasts long, you have to monitor its temperature setting. Make sure that the temp won’t be set to more than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Also remember that lowering the thermostat will cut down the water heater’s operating costs.
5. To get the most benefits out of your water heater, you’ll have to insulate its pipes. The insulation will keep the water hot, therefore reducing the amount of standby heat loss. Another advantage of the insulation is the prevention of condensation which commonly occurs during the summer season. For best results, you might want to insulate the very tank as well.
We hope that you learned valuable water heating system maintenance tips from our blog today. If you experience problems, just call a reputable US plumber to inspect your water heater. Plumbers 911 provides reputable plumbing services in the US including water heater repairs, faucet repair, leak detection, plumbing fixture repair, plumbing appliances installation and many more! Call us now at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade County FL), 954-468-0512 (Broward County FL), 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach County FL) or 1-877-7-4LEAKS (Washington DC) to schedule a service!
Watch this video to find out more about our efficient water heater repair services!