Over months of your washing machine use, gunk, soap scum and lint will build up in the drain thus resulting to clogs. You’ll discover that water won’t drain down the pipeline anymore. When that happens, you won’t be able to use your washing machine until the problem is fixed. If your washer drain is clogged at the moment, here’s a DIY guide you can use as a reference.
1. Find the main drain where the appliance is hooked to. It could be under or behind the washing machine. Disconnect the appliance’s drain hose from the main drain pipe.
2. When you’ve detached the appliance from the main drain, prep your unclogging solution. Use a drain cleaner that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals to avoid damaging the pipe. Mix and use it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Let it sit for the recommended time and then flush the cleaner with a bucket of water. Check if the blockage has been removed.
3. Drain pipe still clogged? Use a plumbing snake! If you do not have one, you can rent from a plumbing supply shop. Insert the snake into the drain and turn its crank clockwise to keep pushing it in. Continuously maneuver the snake in the drain until it touches the clog. Keep on turning the crank to break the clog into smaller pieces.
4. If the clog is too stubborn to break, you can attach a power drill to the snake. It will give the plumbing snake more force. Use the drill’s off-hand attachment to connect the snake. Insert the snake into the drain once again until it reaches the clog. Hold the drill with your two hands and make sure that you won’t drop it. Turn its power on and let the two tools work together to break the clog.
5. If there’s no more resistance, turn the drill off and slowly pull the snake out. The clog is probably eradicated by this time.
6. Again, dump a bucket of water into the drain to flush the sediments away. Check if the problem is resolved.
We hope that you learned how to unclog a washer drain cleanout through our blog today. If you need professional help, just call the best US plumbers for your plumbing appliance needs. Plumbers 911 provides excellent local plumbing services in the US including plumbing appliance installation, water heater repair, leak detection, backflow prevention, camera and sewer inspection, septic tank maintenance, plumbing fixture repair and many more! Call us at Miami (305) 662-0668, Fort Lauderdale (954) 468-0512, West Palm Beach (561) 327-6287, Washington DC (877) 932-5325, Boston (855) 550-9911, Missouri (816) 326-8643 or Kansas (913) 948-9200 to schedule a service now!
Learn valuable plumbing maintenance tips! Watch our video now.