Aside from the fact that it’s a messy job, unclogging a toilet seems pretty daunting. The truth is it’s not hard at all. But we’ll agree with you that it’s not a pleasant task to do. However, if you really want to make use of your ceramic throne as “smoothly” as you did before, you really have to work hard at removing the blockage. Now there are various methods of removing toilet clogs but today, we’ll talk about the auger. The toilet auger is a plumbing tool that’s especially used to clear clogs only in the toilet and not in your kitchen sink or shower drains. It features a hand crank, a long handle and also a specially designed auger at its end that’s used to break through or hook clogs out. Read on and learn how to use it!
1. Curve the end of your toilet auger in the direction that your toilet drains. So if your john drains to the front, curve the auger to the front. If it drains to the back, curve the auger to the back.
2. Set a distance allowance of 4 to 6 inches between the toilet’s hole and the end of your curved pipe handle. Once you’ve made sure of this space, secure the set screw.
3. Insert the end of your auger into the bowl and maneuver the crank in a clockwise manner. This will lower the auger down and push it into the system.
4. When the cable stops and you feel as if there’s something blocking the passageway, it could be the clog! Just keep pushing forward to break it into smaller pieces. When your auger catches something, pull it out slowly to inspect.
5. Remember that when the auger gets stuck, you just have to rotate your crank clockwise and then counterclockwise to create a push and pull motion inside the bowl. NEVER forcefully push or pull the auger. Otherwise, you just might end up with a broken and cracked toilet.
6. When you’ve broken the clog into smaller pieces, it’s time to use your plunger to flush it down the drainpipes. Once done, flush your toilet just to make sure that the blockage has been removed.
We hope that our blog post has shown you the proper way to use a toilet auger. Feel free to browse our site for other clogged toilet home remedies that you can use. And if you need expert help, just find the best Riviera Beach plumber in Palm Beach County FL. Plumbers 911 Florida delivers exceptional plumbing services in Riviera Beach FL including toilet repair, plumbing fixture installation, drain pipe cleaning, leak detection and many more! Call us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade), 954-468-0512 (Broward) or 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach) and we’ll send out our team ASAP!
Learn all about the most common plumbing problems that you should watch out for! Check out our video now!