Tiling a bathroom or shower is truly exciting! You get to test not only your remodeling skills but also your creativity and patience when you handle such a project on your own. If you ever find yourself planning for a bathroom remodel, we’ll let you work on the tiles while we take care of your plumbing for you. If you want to know how to tile the shower, read our DIY guide!
1. Locate and mark the central point of your shower wall. This way, you’ll be able to lay out the tiles evenly. You may also draw level lines on the wall and use them as reference when placing the tiles. Just make sure that you’ll measure the height of the tiles plus the grout.
2. Proceed with the application of the mesh tape on the seams of the cement board.
3. Afterward, get a drop cloth and spread it over the shower pan. Also remember to mask the edge of the said shower pan with your painter’s tape.
4. Next, prepare the tile adhesive that you bought. Read the manual that came with it to ensure that you’ll mix it the right way. Make sure that the consistency of the adhesive turns out like that of cake frosting.
5. When you’re done mixing, get a notched trowel (1/4-inch by 1/4-inch) and use it to apply a thin set on the first installation area. Hold the notched trowel at approximately 45 degrees to be able to spread the adhesive. Use the trowel’s notched edge to create grooves which will help make the tiles stick more effectively. Oh and don’t forget to work on one tile at a time only.
6. Now measure and mark the center of your first shower tile. Lay it out with the help of the reference lines that you created earlier. Press the tile firmly onto the installation wall. Make sure that it is seated properly and that it’s perfectly sticking onto the adhesive.
7. Once you’ve laid one tile out, the succeeding tiles will be a breeze. Continue with the installation of the shower tiles and remember to create spaces between each of them for the grout. Wipe the excess thinset away immediately with a sponge. If you ever need to cut tiles, use a wet saw.
8. When you’re done, proceed with the application of the grout. Mix the grout as per the instructions of the manufacturer. After applying the grout and once it has cured, apply the sealer.
We hope that you learned a lot about tiling a shower. If you need help with your plumbing, just call the best Hingham plumbers for your bath remodel. Plumbers 911 Boston provides local plumbing services in Hingham MA including bathroom remodeling, faucet repair, toilet repair, drain cleaning, backflow prevention, camera sewer inspection and many more! Call us at (877) 754-1048 to schedule a service!
Looking for bathroom tile design ideas? Watch this video to get some inspiration!