Pouring grease down the drain is not a good habit. We have always emphasized this as a big DON’T whenever we share plumbing tips with you. The thing is, we know that there will be instances when oily substances still get in your drainpipes. When they solidify and accumulate over time, they can create clogs and affect the smooth flow of water in the pipes. When this happens, you’ll surely be in for a lot of trouble. Here’s a step-by-step DIY guide on how you can fix a sink drain clogged with grease.
1. Remove the standing water in your kitchen sink by scooping it out with a disposable cup. Check if there are substances caught inside the drain or the trap which may have caused the blockage. Remove them from the drain trap and test if the clog persists. If it does, then it confirms that the clog is inside the pipe.
2. Get a bowl and mix a cup of baking soda and a cup of water. Use a spoon to stir the ingredients thoroughly. When you’re done, pour the mixture into the drain hole.
3. Plug the drain to prevent gas or bad odor from escaping out.
4. Let the baking soda solution sit overnight and avoid using your sink for the time being.
5. The following morning, boil a pot of water. Pour a cup of liquid dish detergent that has grease-fighting properties in the pot. Mix them thoroughly and then pour it into the drain.
6. Turn the tap on and check if that solved the problem. Otherwise, repeat the process.
7. If the clog persists, you already need to use your plumbing snake. Remove all the things that you have stored under the sink to give you enough room to work on the pipe. Place a bucket under the pipe to catch any excess water that’s left inside.
8. Detach the trap carefully with the use of your wrench. Insert the plumbing snake into the pipe by rotating the crank clockwise. Keep on turning it until it touches the clog. Break the solidified grease into smaller pieces until you feel that there’s no more resistance.
9. Slowly pull the snake out and reconnect the trap. Don’t forget to turn the tap on and test if the flow of water into the drain is smooth again.
We hope that this DIY guide on how to fix a sink drain clogged with grease helps you. If you need professional plumbing assistance, just call a reliable Broward County plumber. Plumbers 911 Florida delivers exceptional yet affordable plumbing services in Broward County FL including drainpipe cleaning, kitchen plumbing, kitchen remodeling, leak detection, plumbing fixture repair and many more! Call us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade County FL), 954-468-0512 (Broward County FL), 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach County FL) to schedule a service!
Watch a demo on how to remove grease from the drain pipe. Check out this short clip we found on YouTube.