A fiberglass shower tub is a durable plumbing fixture that’s easy to maintain and clean. Its smooth surface is pleasing to the eyes and undoubtedly gives a bathroom’s look a boost. However, we cannot deny the fact that despite its durability, it’s still prone to scratches and cracks. It can be easily damaged by blunt force that results from accidentally dropping objects in it. Fortunately, its surface is the only thing that often gets harmed and the problem is easy to repair. Here’s a DIY guide for your reference.
1. Clean the affected area with a sponge or a rag and a gentle detergent. Afterwards, rinse the area with water and wipe it dry. This will ensure that the adhesive will stick to tub effectively.
2. Now get an emery cloth and sand the area with the hairline crack. Use fine-grit sandpaper for this task. Once done, brush the sand or dust off the surface with an old cloth or clean rag.
3. When you’re done, get the fiberglass repair kit that you purchased from the plumbing supply shop. Paint the hairline crack with the kit’s bonding agent or adhesive. There should be a small brush that came with the kit. Use it to apply the adhesive. Make sure that you’ll apply the adhesive on the inside of the crack as well. Extend the application up to an inch before and after the crack. Let the bonding agent dry as per the instructions on the kit.
4. When the agent is dry, fill the hairline crack with the fiberglass filler. Use a putty knife to apply the material. After the application, remove any excess filler with the use of the knife as well. Let it dry before proceeding to the next step.
5. Afterwards, sand the repaired area with the fine-grit sandpaper until the surface is already level. Wipe the area when you’re done to remove the dust. You may also use a sponge for this task since it’s softer.
6. Now get the epoxy gel coat that came with the repair kit. Follow the instructions on the package to ensure that the gel will be effective. Use a paint brush to apply the mixture onto the affected area. Guarantee that you’ll extend the paint for about two inches around the hairline crack.
7. Next, cut the fiberglass cloth just enough to fit onto the patched area. Press the cloth firmly onto the surface of the tub to make it stick with the epoxy gel. Run your putty knife across the cloth so that you can remove the air bubbles trapped underneath it.
8. After the application of the cloth, paint it again with the epoxy gel. Once you’re done, apply the finishing sealant or coat with the use of a paint brush.
9. Let it dry according to the manufacturer instructions.
We hope that you learned easy shower tub repair through our blog today. If you need help with tub or shower installation and repair, just call the most trusted Alexandria plumber. Plumbers 911 Washington DC provides excellent plumbing services in Alexandria VA including plumbing fixture installation, plumbing appliance installation, faucet repair, leak detection, home remodeling and many more! Call us now at (877) 932-5325 to schedule a service!
Watch this video that features bathtub crack repair for more information!