Over time, your porcelain sink will lose its luster and beauty. That’s natural since it is always exposed to water and often times, objects are accidentally dropped in it. Blunt force results to cracks and chips that make your sink look old and ugly. Fortunately, it is easy to solve this problem and you can even do it on your own! Here’s a DIY guide to help you out.
1. Go to your plumbing supply shop and get a porcelain repair kit. Make sure that it will match the color of your sink.
2. Read the instructions on your kit. Generally, what you have to do first is to combine the repair compound with the alkyd paint to find the perfect color match. You can test the color by applying it on a surface. Wipe the compound off with an old rag that is lint-free.
3. Now check on your sink. Sand the affected area with a medium-grit sandpaper to smoothe the surface. This will remove stains caused by corrosion and also get rid of uneven edges. Once you’re done, dust the area off with a lint-free cloth.
4. Wash the area with water and a mild soap. Get rid of sediments which can impede the efficient adhesion of the repair compound to the sink. Wash the area with water and let it dry. You can also use a blow dryer to complete the task faster.
5. Wear your protective rubber gloves to protect your sensitive hands from the chemical compound. Again, check on the kit’s instructions and combine the repair compound.
6. Using a razor blade with a single edge, apply the compound onto the hole or crack carefully. Repeat the process until the affected area is already the same color as the rest of the sink. Use your razor blade to smooth the surface and let it dry.
7. Now get a cotton swab and dip it in a polish remover. Carefully rub it against the patch’s edges to get rid of any excess compound.
We hope that you now know that porcelain sink repair is pretty easy. If you need professional help with your bathroom’s plumbing, just look for the most dependable Washington DC plumber. Plumbers 911 Washington DC delivers affordable Washington DC plumbing services including plumbing fixture repair, leak detection, home remodeling, faucet repair and many more! Call us now at (877) 932-5325 to schedule a service!
Learn about the most common plumbing problems you should be ready for. Watch our video now!