Safety Tips From Your Local Syracuse Plumbers
While natural gas has many benefits, it is still very dangerous if not handled properly. Here are a few things to keep an eye out for when using natural gas.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Gas leaks are usually caused by either improper installation, faulty appliances, or incidents by a person in the home. Gas leaks are very dangerous and you should be aware of the signs of a potential gas leak. They include the following:
- You smell rotten eggs. Natural gas is naturally odorless, so gas companies add an odor additive to make it more noticeable.
- You have dead plants near the gas line. When natural gas escapes from the line, it kills the plant life surrounding it. If you notice brown, dead plants near your pipeline, call a plumber immediately.
- Hissing noises coming from appliances. When working properly, you should not be able to hear gas entering appliances for use. If you have a leak, you’ll be able to hear a hissing sound near your appliance. That’s the sound of gas escaping the pipe.
If you suspect a gas leak, shut off your gas immediately and exit your home. Call 911 first if you have injuries, then give us a call. We’ll be able to fix your gas leak and restore safety back to your home.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is also a potential danger with natural gas. When the gas burns, it creates carbon monoxide as a byproduct. Normally the carbon monoxide is carried out through the exhaust system and you’ll never know it’s there. However, there are certain factors that can release carbon monoxide into the air that you should know.