It is really a delight to cook and have dinner at home instead of eating out and enduring heavy traffic or putting up with long lines in the resto. A homemade meal not only guarantees flavors that suit your palate but also brings the family together. But do you know what will possibly ruin such a lovely evening with your loved ones? It’s finding out after a sumptuous supper that your kitchen sink is clogged with grease that you’ve been pouring down the drain over the past few days. Instead of sitting down with the family to watch some TV series or a home movie, you’ll have to spend the entire night unclogging your washbasin. How inconvenient, isn’t it? With this said, let us share with you quick, hassle-free solutions to kitchen clogs!
1. The first thing that you can do is to get rid of drain clogs in your kitchen sink is to pour hot water down the drain. This is supposed to melt the solidified grease that has accumulated in the pipes. If this doesn’t work, move on to the next step.
2. When hot water doesn’t work, try using an enzyme drain cleaner. It’s a safe, environment-friendly cleanser that won’t damage your pipes as they don’t contain harsh chemicals. They don’t only eat grease away but also other organic matters such as food scraps, hair and hey, even soap scum.
3. When enzyme cleaners fail to do the job, it’s possible that the clog is a big solid chunk and is already too stubborn to be broken down by the above two methods. Try plunging your sink. Make sure that it has enough water so that the plunger’s rubber head is soaked entirely. Position it right on top of the hole and start pushing and pulling in a consistent, medium-fast pace. Do so for about 10 to 15 times then test if the clog has been removed. If not, try the next step.
4. If the plunger is also a big epic fail, try using a drain snake. It’s a plumbing tool that’s easily procured in hardware or plumbing supply stores. Remove your drain screen or trap first then insert the wire into the pipe. Keep on turning the crank clockwise until the wire touches on something solid. Once you have located the blockage, keep on moving the crank to break the object into smaller pieces. When the wire is moving freely, slowly pull out the plumbing snake and dispose of the dirt that you have collected. Run some water down the drain again and test if it’s already working.
5. When the plumbing snake doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do, it’s possible that the clog is in the trap. Get a bucket and position it under the pipe. Remove the trap and make sure that excess water goes into the bucket so that your work area won’t get messy. Once there’s no water in the pipe, use your plumbing snake again and pull out the clog. When you’re done, re-assemble the connection and test again.
We hope that our blog for today taught you on what you should do with kitchen sink clogged with grease. In case you need professional plumbing assistance for your home, just look for the best Hillsboro Beach plumber in Broward County FL! Plumbers 911 Florida delivers exceptional and affordable plumbing services in Hillsboro Beach FL including drain pipe cleaning, leak detection, plumbing fixture repair, septic tank and grease trap installation and many more! Call us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade), 954-468-0512 (Broward) or 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach) and we’ll send out our team ASAP!
Want to learn about the most common plumbing problems that you have to watch out for? Watch our video now!