A leaky faucet isn’t the worst plumbing nightmare you’ll ever experience but it is inconvenient just the same. When not repaired right away, the constant dripping will surely keep you up at night and you’ll surely get a heart attack when you receive your water bill for the month. To avoid such annoying inconveniences, here’s a do-it-yourself guide on how to fix faucet leaks!
1. Before doing anything on your faucet, turn the water supply valve off first. Doing so will prevent water from spraying out like a fountain when you’re doing the repair.
2. Make it as simple as this. Remove the decorative parts of the faucet by just prying them off with a flathead screw driver. Aim underneath each knob and you should be able to get rid of them easily. If you experience any difficulty or if the parts won’t budge at all, using penetrating oil will help loosen the handle of the faucet.
3. When you have removed the faucet handle, loosen the fixture’s packing nut with the help of a pipe wrench. Once you’ve loosened that, you should be able to see the faucet stem. Remove it by popping it right off or twisting it from its valve. After detaching the components, check them for damage.
4. If everything’s okay with the parts, proceed with the inspection of the O-ring and the faucet’s washer. These two are located inside the valve seat. As they wear out over time, they become less efficient in providing a seal inside the faucet, thus creating leaks. If both parts are damaged already, replace them with new ones that are of the same size as the old ones. You can bring the old pieces to the plumbing supply shop so that you can have a size reference when you buy the replacement parts.
5. Once you have replaced the parts, install the faucet stem once again. Tighten the packing nut and the faucet handle. Reinstall the decorative parts, too.
6. Turn the water supply valve on and run the tap. Check the faucet for leaks.
We hope that you learned how to fix leaky faucet through our blog today. If problems persist, just call the best Bonner Springs plumbing contractor. Plumbers 911 Kansas provides reliable plumbing services in Bonner Springs KS including faucet repair, water heater repair, plumbing fixture installation, frozen pipes repair, leak detection and many more! Call us at 816-326-8643 to schedule a service!
Learn all about our exceptional HVAC repair services in Kansas, too! Watch our video below.