A leaky kitchen faucet may not be the worst of the plumbing issues you’ll experience at home. However, we can’t deny that it does have its own disadvantages. For instance, constant dripping will waste a lot of water, thereby contributing to your utility bill. To avoid spending more money than you should, put a stop to that leak ASAP. Follow this DIY guide to put your kitchen faucet back to tip-top shape.
1. Turn off the faucet’s water supply valve. Check under the sink for the valve. Turn it clockwise to prevent water from getting into the pipe.
2. To ensure that no faucet part will accidentally fall into the sink drain, plug the hole with an old cloth.
3. Remove the faucet handle by first unscrewing it from the body. Look for the decorative cap and pry it off with your flathead screwdriver or putty knife. Loosen the screw with your screwdriver then carefully remove the handle. Use a flathead for this task. If the handle won’t budge, lubricate it and pull it out again.
4. Once you’ve detached the handle, get your wrench and loosen the faucet’s packing nut. You will gain access to the faucet stem. Some stem can just pop right off while some need to be twisted from the valve. Try to see what method will remove your faucet stem and be careful not to damage it.
5. Now that you have access to the other parts, take a look at the O-ring first. Usually, a faucet leaks because of a worn out O-ring. Also inspect the washer and the valve seat. Remove both the worn out washer and then put a new one in place. Lubricate a new O-ring and put it in place, too.
6. Once you’ve replaced those two parts, reinstall the faucet stem and packing nut. Tighten the screw again and then put the handle back. Turn the faucet knob gently to tighten the connection.
7. To make sure that the leak has been taken care of, turn the water supply back on and run the tap.
We hope that our blog post today has taught you how to fix a leaky kitchen faucet. If the problem persists, call the best Washington DC plumber. Plumbers 911 Washington DC delivers exceptional Washington DC plumbing services including faucet repair, leak detection, plumbing fixture repair, plumbing appliance installation and many more! Call us at (877) 932-5325.
Learn about our gas system installation and repair services. Watch our video now!