The washing machine is an indispensable appliance in every home. Without it, homeowners would have to wash their clothes, sheets and linens manually or spend money on weekly laundry services. Now what you have to remember is that your washing machine relies on a drain pipe which is responsible for the disposal of the soiled water it produces. And because the pipe is exposed to dirt and sediments, it is also vulnerable to clogging. If you ever discover that your washer won’t drain because of a blocked up pipe, you can use this easy-to-follow DIY guide!
1. Look for the drain hose of your washing machine. In most cases, it is located at the back OR under the appliance. Trace the hose and find the actual drain pipe where it is hooked to.
2. Once you find the pipe, detach the drain hose from it.
3. Get a trusted and chemical-free drain cleaner. Mix it up as per the manufacturer’s directions. Pour it into the drain pipe and let it sit for a few hours, depending on the user instructions.
4. Afterward, pour a bucket of water into the drain and check if the block has been eradicated.
5. If water won’t flow smoothly down the pipe yet, you can use a plumbing snake to unclog the line. You can buy a snake from home improvement shops or plumbing supply stores. If you don’t want to invest in one, you may also rent it.
6. Insert the end of the snake into the drain and continuously turn its crank clockwise to push it further. Once it touches the clog or when you feel a solid object obstructing the wire, you have located the clog. Keep on turning the crank manually, adding more force to it. Do this continuously until you have broken through the clog.
7. If the plumbing snake is too weak to get rid of the blockage, attach the snake to a power drill using the latter’s off-hand attachment. Insert the wire into the drain pipe once again and hold the drill with both hands. Turn it on and let it destroy the blockage into smaller pieces.
8. Once you no longer fill any obstruction, turn the drill off and slowly pull the snake out of the drain pipe.
9. Afterward, get a bucket of water and flush the remaining sediments inside the pipe. Observe if the clog has been removed.
We hope that you learned how to clean out washer drain pipe. If the problem persists, just call the most reliable Lawrence plumbing company. Plumbers 911 Kansas provides local plumbing services in Lawrence KS including plumbing appliance installation, drain cleaning, leak detection, sump pump maintenance, HVAC services and many more! Call us at 816-326-8643 to schedule a service!
Learn how to diagnose washing machine drain and pump problems! Watch this video below.