The investment on an expensive property is always entailed by the question, “How do you maintain it?” Regardless if you’re pertaining to your car, your home, a top-of-the-line gadget or even your plumbing appliance, the bottom line is that you have spent your hard earned money on these things which is why due care is essential. As in the case of a hot water heater, you know — we all know — that it is not a cheap piece of equipment. It’s worth $700 or maybe even more! That said, it is only wise and practical to do everything you can to keep it in good shape. So let us share with you some valuable maintenance tips for your hot water heater!
1. Keep your water heater temperature at no more than 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Doing so will not only prevent your machine from overheating but will also save you a lot of money on your utility bill. Think about it as hitting two birds in one stone.
2. Make sure that its T&P valve is working as it should. You can perform a check by simply lifting the lever half way up then letting it go and allowing it to snap back to position. If you hear some sort of gurgling sound, that means that some water is released into the drain tube which is a sign that it’s functional. Otherwise, the valve must be replaced.
3. Flush your water heater tank at least once a year. As you may know, sediments accumulate at the bottom of the tank. This is normal because you’re supplied hard water which contains minerals. These substances are left in your tank and should be removed to prevent corrosion and enhance your water heater’s functionality.
4. If you notice leaks coming from any part of your water heater, attend to them right away. A wet flooring and leaking parts may lead to accidents which can compromise the safety of your property and your loved ones.
5. Check the tank’s anode rod once in a while. It will require replacement if it’s already worn out to prevent rusting.
6. Insulate the pipes and the heater to make it more efficient. Doing so will reduce its energy consumption and reduce your utility bill.
7. When your water heater stops working, shut down the power supply immediately. You can troubleshoot the cause of the problem but you need to ensure that the machine is not on as you may get electrocuted. Once you’ve done basic DIY troubleshooting or performed basic repair and still nothing changes, call a professional plumber right away!
Follow these simple hot water heater maintenance tips and you’ll surely lengthen the life span of your machine! Should you need help with its installation or repair, just call the most reliable Broward County plumber! Plumbers 911 Florida delivers only the best Broward County plumbing services in FL such as water heater repair, sub-metering, gas system installation and many more! Reach us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade), 954-468-0512 (Broward) or 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach)!
Want to know how a hot water heater works? Watch this quick video!