We have always talked about how pouring grease down the drain is a big No-No. And though you’ll try your best to avoid this habit, we’re pretty sure that there will be some instances when you’ll forget and still accidentally dispose grease through your sink drain. What’s not good about this practice is that grease tends to solidify inside the pipes due to the cool temperature. And if a big amount of this substance accumulates inside the lines, clogs result therefore affecting the smooth flow of water and sewage in the system. If ever you’re experiencing this plumbing problem now, read on and find out the best way to remove grease in pipes without the use of chemicals.
1. Get a bowl and combine a cup of baking soda and a cup of white vinegar. You surely have a stock of these ingredients in your cupboard because they’re cooking staples. Mix them thoroughly with a spoon to come up with an evenly combined solution.
2. When you’re done mixing, pour the solution into the drain. Don’t use the sink and just let the solution sit overnight. During this span of time, the baking soda and vinegar will try to break the clog down into smaller pieces.
3. The following day, boil a pot of water, preferably about 2 gallons. It’s time to wash away the clog and the ingredients that you’ve poured into the drain the night before.
4. Before pouring the water in the drain, add half a cup of your favorite liquid dish detergent that has grease-dissolving properties. Mix it up as well.
5. Slowly pour the water and liquid detergent solution into the sink drain. Make sure that you’re wearing mitts to avoid burning your hands. Do this carefully to prevent scalding. Remember, hot water can easily burn your skin in a matter of seconds.
6. After pouring hot water into the drain, run the tap and check if the clog has been removed. If the problem persists, pour another batch of boiling water.
We hope that this method helps you remove grease in pipes. If you are experiencing a nasty clog issue, don’t hesitate to call your friendly Washington DC Metropolitan plumber. Plumbers 911 Washington DC delivers exceptional plumbing services in Washington DC including drain cleaning, leak detection, backflow prevention, plumbing fixture repair and many more! Call us now at (877) 932-5325 to schedule a service!
Find out how Plumbers 911 Washington DC repairs underground water supply lines! Watch our video now.