Garbage disposal maintenance isn’t something to be taken lightly. It should be taken rather seriously and done consistently. Otherwise, you’ll not only find your kitchen sink covered with filth and grime but also offend your nose with such an unpleasant odor.
In order to maintain proper garbage disposal, you’ll need a great deal of discipline. Aside from making sure that food items are disposed of the right way, you also have to care for your garbage disposal system.
Basic Garbage Disposer Care Tips
- Maintain a strong flow of cold water when disposing food to make grease and oil solidify and broken down effectively. Throw in ice cubes to degrease the system once a week.
- Ensure that your garbage disposal system is always clean by pouring dish soap into it and letting it run for a couple of minutes after washing the dishes.
- Grinding hard items such as fish and chicken bones will clean the walls of your garbage disposal system.
- Prevent corrosion and rust by making use of your garbage disposer frequently.
- Only throw in small items into the grind chamber but do not do so all at once. Do it one at a time to prevent blockage and malfunction.
- Grind peelings of citrus fruits to rid the drain of foul smell. You may also try pouring in half a cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar. Let it foam and then pour boiling water to sanitize the system.
- Garbage disposal maintenance also involves responsible usage. Only grind biodegradable items. Do not use it for hard objects such as metals, plastic bags, combustible materials, paper and even oil.
Follow these simple garbage disposal maintenance tips to help you keep your disposer in good condition. Disposer care will contribute in preventing garbage disposal system malfunction as well as thwart the onset of unpleasant odor in your kitchen. Share and browse our blogsite for more valuable tips! Meanwhile, watch the video below to learn what items can be thrown into your sink erator.
Should you need professional plumbing services in the US, simply contact Plumbers 911 Florida, Plumbers 911 Washington DC or Plumbers 911 California. Reach us through our websites or by calling us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade County FL), 954-468-0512 (Broward County FL), 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach County FL), 800-731-1139 (Central Valley CA) or (877) 932-5325 (Washington DC)!