Your garbage disposal is exposed to different kinds of waste substances. We bet you use the machine every time you clean up after meals or after you cook. You probably grind down vegetable and fruit peelings, food scraps and sometimes even fail to exempt greasy substances. Remember, you can’t just grind anything in your garbage disposal. It will also get clogged and may even jam if you won’t be careful. In case your machine is blocked right now, here’s a short DIY repair guide you can use as a reference.
1. First things, first. Turn the garbage disposal’s power supply off and also shut down the circuit breaker through your home’s electrical panel. You should never try to repair the machine when it’s still hooked to your power source. Otherwise, you’ll put yourself and your home at risk. Accidents may arise and you may also get electrocuted so also advise your family members to never touch the electrical panel.
2. Once you’ve turned off the circuit break, check the garbage disposal’s switch and flip it off, too. Test the machine to ensure that it won’t run even if you flip the switch. Also observe if the appliance will produce any humming sound when the switch is on. It shouldn’t do so and instead, should stay silent.
3. Afterward, check under the garbage disposal machine and look for the hexagonal hole. The appliance’s center shaft is usually found at its butt.
4. When you’ve found the shaft, insert your Allen wrench into it. Turn the wrench back and forth to loosen the shaft and flip the garbage disposal’s blades. Keep on doing this until you feel no resistance and you’re able to turn the shaft all the way.
5. After working on the shaft, you will then have to push the rest button. It’s also found at the base of the garbage disposal system and is colored red.
6. Tighten the shaft with the Allen wrench and then turn the circuit breaker on. Flip the garbage disposal machine’s switch and test it. It should already work properly again.
We hope that you learned how to fix a garbage disposal clogged through our blog today. If problems persist, just call a trusted Grandview plumber to fix your garbage disposal machine. Plumbers 911 Missouri provides local plumbing services in Grandview MO including plumbing appliances installation, plumbing fixture repair, HVAC services, faucet repair, boiler installation and many more! Call us at 816-326-8643 to schedule a service!
Learn how to install a garbage disposal by watching this video!