Sooner or later, you’ll find your bathtub in a not-so-pleasing state anymore. It may have scratches. It may have hairline cracks or bigger crevices. It may not be as smooth or polished as before. It may have started chipping off, too. No worries though because we just couldn’t let your favorite relaxation spot turn into one ugly fixture that should already be disposed of. There is a way for you to fix your tub so that it will look shiny and smooth all over again. Here’s our DIY guide to assist you.
1. Get your favorite brand of bathtub repair kit. It should be especially designed for fiberglass and ensure that it’s in the exact same color of your tub. A kit may contain any or all of these items: mixing container and stirring tool, protective gloves, thickener for the resin, sandpaper, colorants, fiberglass mat or mesh, hardener and polyester resin.
2. Now once you’re ready, clean the part of the tub that should be fixed. You have to get rid of any jagged or protruding glass fibers within the area. Use sandpaper to remove any contaminant such as scum, oil, and wax from the tub’s surface. After this process, rinse the area with acetone.
3. Take a look at the damaged area. Is the crack more than a quarter of an inch? Is it a hole? If it is, you should get a piece of fiberglass cloth or mesh to fill it up. Otherwise, it no longer needs cloth reinforcing.
4. Read the instructions that came with your kit and follow as necessary. To prevent causing stains or damages in your work area, get a cardboard or a thick paper and place the mixing container on it. Mix the ingredients there. Add colorant as prescribed, ensuring that it’s going to turn out in the same color as your tub. Mix thoroughly.
5. If the crack that you want to repair is on vertical surface, the mixture you’ll create should be very stiff so that it won’t drip or run. Otherwise, the mixture can be a little bit thinner. Once you have decided how thick it should be, go ahead and add the hardener. Again, stir the mixture thoroughly. And remember, the longer you stir, the better the results you’ll get.
6. When the resin is ready, make use of a putty knife to scoop out some of the mixture. Carefully apply it on the damaged spots. If you are, by the way, using a fiberglass cloth, make sure that you place it over the damaged area. Press it hard into the repair mixture and spread it evenly. Allow the mixture to harden. This part usually takes about 2 hours.
7. When the surface is already hard, use your sandpaper again to polish the area. Get rid of any excess fiberglass cloth. Sand the area until it’s smooth.
8. Get your kit again and mix another batch. This time, use the colorant but no longer add the thickener. Once you’re done mixing, apply a thin amount onto the area again with the help of a cotton swap or a paintbrush. Let it harden and then sand it again.
9. Check your kit and look for the buffing compound. Use it to give your tub a glossy finish.
We hope that you enjoyed reading our fiberglass tub repair. For professional plumbing help, just hire the most dependable US plumbing company! Plumbers 911 delivers top notch local plumbing services in the US including bathroom remodeling, plumbing fixture installation, toilet repair and many more! Call us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade County FL), 954-468-0512 (Broward County FL), 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach County FL), 800-731-1139 (Central Valley CA) or (877) 932-5325 (Washington DC)!
Do you have questions about our services? Watch our video and get the answers.