You can never tell when your pipes will spring a leak; when your hot water heater stops working; when your faucet breaks into a fountain or when your toilet clogs. The thing is, such plumbing emergencies usually come in a time when you’re already preparing to go to work or when you’re about to go out. Pretty convenient, isn’t it? Fortunately, there are some plumbing emergencies that you can fix on your own. Just remember to be careful though because as much as DIY plumbing sounds fun and challenging, it may also lead to disasters when done wrong. With that said, let us share with you some DIY emergency plumbing repair tips!
1. Have a tool kit handy. You definitely need the right tools, equipment and materials in order for you to successfully accomplish plumbing tasks. Some of the most common items you need to have in your kit include but are not limited to a pipe wrench, plumber’s putty, plumbing snake, washers and fittings.
2. Know where your water supply’s shut off valve is located. This is definitely a must because prior to starting any kind of plumbing project, you’ll have to shut the water off to prevent flooding your bathrooms, kitchens or basements. Imagine replacing a faucet with the water supply on. You surely won’t like what’s going to happen next.
3. Before you start tinkering with your plumbing fixtures or appliances, make sure that you have adequate knowledge about it. Get to know your home’s plumbing even more. Know what’s connected where. Find out all about the functions of each and every role player in your plumbing system. What’s the T&P valve of your water heater for? What’s the vent for? Knowledge and skills are both very important when it comes to DIY plumbing.
4. Attend to leaks right away. Unless it’s okay for you to shut the water supply off the rest of the day or you’re willing to pay extra bucks for unwanted consumption, fix the seepage immediately! Times are hard and you have to cut down on your utility bills. Not only that, leaks may lead to more damages in your home. Last but not the least, it is very important for us to conserve water to help Mother Nature.
5. When dealing with plumbing appliances, don’t forget to ensure that they’re off before doing anything with them. Troubleshooting and repairing your hot water heater, garbage disposal systems, dishwashers and even your washing machine can get you electrocuted if you won’t turn them or the power supply off. Remember, water and electricity doesn’t match.
6. Wear protective and sanitary clothing such as rubber gloves. This is important to keep your hands safe and clean when checking and repairing dirty, corroded and in case, bacteria infested plumbing.
We hope that you learned valuable emergency plumbing repair tips from our blog today. And remember, if you need professional plumbing assistance, don’t hesitate to call reliable Lake Worth plumber in Palm Beach County FL! Plumbers 911 Florida provides exceptional Lake Worth plumbing services such as toilet repairs, plumbing installation, plumbing fixture repair, water heater service and many more! Call us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade), 954-468-0512 (Broward) or 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach)!
Complete your plumbing kit at home! Watch this video now!