Clogged drains are common plumbing issues that homeowners face. And among the most problematic drain pipes that you’ll encounter is that of your kitchen sink. Because the sink drain is exposed to different kinds of sticky substances such as grease, oil, fact, starchy food scraps and what-nots, the pipe is vulnerable to clogging. To get rid of the blockage, here’s a do-it-yourself guide you can follow.
1. Check if there’s standing water in the sink. Also check for leftover food or scraps that are blocking the drain. If there are any, remove them immediately. Allowing them get inside the pipe will just worsen the clog. Also scoop out the water to clear the sink.
2. When you have removed the scraps and the water, turn the faucet on and check if the drain is still clogged. If it is, proceed with the use of hot water. Let us assume that grease and fatty substances caused the clog. Boil a kettle of water and then mix some liquid detergent with it. Carefully pour the solution into the drain and leave it alone to try and let it break through the sticky substances.
3. If the hot water and detergent solution won’t get rid of the clog, use the ever reliable baking soda and vinegar tandem. Pour equal amounts of these two ingredients into the pipe and then plug the drain. You can use a cup of both, preferably. Let the two ingredients combine and create a chemical reaction that will fizz out the sticky substances there. Don’t use the kitchen sink overnight to get the best results.
4. The following day, remove the plug on the drain and pour hot water into the pipe. This will wash away the remaining baking soda inside the pipe. Run the tap and check if the clog has been removed.
5. Still clogged? Get a plunger and position it onto the drain hole. Make sure that its rubber part is soaked in water and that it’s perfectly centered on the drain. Plunge up and down while maintaining a steady pace. Do this for about 15 repetitions. Afterward, perform another test to see if water will flow smoothly into the drain.
6. If the drain is still blocked up, get a plumbing snake. Insert it into the drain and turn its crank clockwise to keep on pushing it further inside. Once it touches the clog, push it even more to break through the blockage. When you no longer feel any kind of resistance, carefully pull the wire out. Dispose the waste materials properly.
7. Check if the clog has been removed. If the drain is still blocked, you might need to detach the drain trap and hook the clog out from there. If doing so doesn’t fix the problem, your vents should also be inspected to ensure that air is flowing properly inside the system.
We hope that you learned how to fix a clogged kitchen sink through our blog today. If the problem persists, just call the most reliable Mission Woods plumbers. Plumbers 911 Kansas provides top-notch emergency plumbing services in Mission Woods KS including drain cleaning, backflow prevention, plumbing fixture repair, hydro-jetting, camera sewer inspection and many more! Call us at 816-326-8643 to schedule a service!
Looking for a reliable plumber in Kansas City? Watch our video and let us tell you why we’re the right crew to hire!