Home plumbing, though not recommended to non-professionals, can be achieved if homeowners take extra precautions in performing proper maintenance.
This can be done if you have the proper equipment and skills needed to fix anything on your plumbing system. Simple tasks such as fixing the leaky faucet or replacement of your toilet gaskets can easily be done.
However, there are more complicated tasks that you should always leave to the experts like pipe replacement and repair. Below are some tips on how you can avoid these..
How to Avoid Costly Pipe Repairs
Costly plumbing repair service can also be prevented if these easy tasks are performed:
- Check for leaks – Unmanageable flooding is sometimes caused by leaks because even the smallest leak in your pipes and faucets can cause this. The damage incurred through this require substantial plumbing repair and yes it is oftentimes costly. It is therefore important to check unheated basements, crawl spaces, garages and exterior walls, basically all areas that lack insulation.This is because little to no insulation often leaves pipes vulnerable to elements that make them crack and leak. If you cannot do the checking yourself, contact a residential plumber to help you check trouble areas and provide an overview on how to prepare as well as to maintain your plumbing system in the coming winter months.
- Weatherproof possible trouble areas – It is always essential to look out for possible trouble areas, normally those with exposed plumbing. Windows, doorways, and vent fans should be checked to ensure that their seals remain tight.Otherwise one can fix up with caulking to prevent your home pipes from freezing. Ensure that cracked windows are repaired because as they can lead to freezing temperatures that would cost you expensive plumbing costs.
- Insulate exposed pipes – Sealing off all airflow inside your home could lead to mold growth overtime. To avoid this, you can have your pipes properly insulated for them to stand up against cold winter air.This easy and inexpensive procedure is the best way to go. You can try installing foam tubing or wrap towels around your pipes to help the water heater retain heat. The pipes near electrical sources are vulnerable and should be insulated with electrical heating tape. Wrap it around the pipes to provide enough heat and keep the pipes from freezing.
- Drain and insulate – Outdoor faucets and pipes have to be drained and insulated before the winter season to ensure that the water inside the pipes won’t freeze and expand. This is what’s causing the pipes to crack and burst. Secure the exterior pipes to avoid property damages and costly plumbing repairs.
- Keep interior pipes warm – Do not forget that even indoor pipes are affected by the winter season. They can also freeze in cold weather. In order for them to not freeze, open your cabinet doors to expose them to heat.If you won’t be home for quite some time, set your thermostat to a minimum of 55 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also let your indoor faucet drip steadily to prevent pipes from bursting.
- Have a licensed Chicago plumber maintain your pipes for you – Your plumbing system plays a major role in your home hence it needs the best care. Costly repairs can be avoided if the pipes have been properly installed and maintained from the very start.
Burst Pipes in Your Chicago Home?
There are two most common causes of broken pipes: water pressure and freezing.
Let’s talk about water pressure buildup and what you can do to prevent it.
Too much water pressure in your pipes can cause leaks and burst pipes. But how do you know if the water pressure is too high?
If you notice banging noises coming from your pipes, have a running toilet, or if you are experiencing frequent issues with your plumbing appliances, you probably have excessive water pressure in your plumbing system.
To prevent this from happening, have a water pressure regulator installed by a plumbing contractor in Illinois.
Understanding the causes of burst pipes can help you fix issues when they are still manageable and prevent them from occurring. However, once a water pipe in your home bursts, you don’t have much of a choice.
This can cause damage and inconvenience. It can be costly to repair when not addressed immediately, so the best thing you can do is to have it repaired by our expert professionals right away.
Why You Need To Have Burst Pipes Repaired As Soon As Possible
A cracked pipe that is about to burst is like a ticking time bomb. It can break anytime and cause costly damages, so immediate action is needed. It is always a good idea to fix a damaged pipe as soon as you find them.
A pipe leak, even a small one can cause damages to your home if left undetected. Here are some of the adverse effects of a pipe leak or a burst pipe:
- Indoor flooding
- Mold and mildew
- Water damage
- Structural Damage
Never let a broken pipe, or a leak get out of hand before calling an expert. While some minor issues are easy to fix, water leaks and burst pipes need immediate professional attention. Make sure to detect cracks and leaks and ensure that proper repairs are carried out.
Let the Experts at Plumbers 911 Chicago Fix Any Broken Pipes In Your Home
When you call us for help, here are the great things you can expect from us:
- We offer speedy customer service
- Technicians will arrive at your doorstep within the hour of your call, guaranteed.
- Our emergency services are available any time of the day (and night)
- We only have licensed, fully insured and bonded plumbing specialists
- All our experts are well-trained and experienced in the industry
- We offer reliable services that are not overpriced