A burst pipe is a common plumbing problem that homeowners face in their home. It is a serious issue that if not addressed promptly can lead to damage and costly repairs. If you suspect you have a burst water pipe in your home in Texas, here are some if things you need to know before calling in the experts:
Top Causes of a Broken Pipe
Here are the two most common reasons why water pipes burst:
- Freezing temperature
If it is already winter and you failed to winterize your pipes beforehand, there is a big chance that your water pipes will freeze and burst.
- Water pressure is too high
Excessive water pressure can cause a pipe to burst and lead to other serious damage if not repaired promptly.
Signs You May Have a Broken Pipe
Below are some of the signs that could indicate that there is a pipe broken in your property:
- Frequent clogged toilet or drain.
- A pipe that makes a whistling sound when water travels through it can mean that it is broken.
- Persistent drain backups.
- Using the sink or flushing the toilet creates a bubbling noise
- Sewer odor from drains.
- No water is coming out of the faucet.
Now that you know the causes and the signs of broken water pipes, you must act quickly to stop the problem from getting worse. Follow the steps listed below:
What to Do If You Have a Pipe That Has Burst
- Turn off your water and electricity from the main. Immediately shut off water to avoid flooding and water damage. There is also a possibility that water has gotten inside your home’s electrical panel, so the best thing to do is shut off electricity as soon as possible.
- Call a professional plumber near your location. For emergency situations like this one, it is important to call experts within your area so that they will arrive quickly. Before hiring, make sure to ask for proof of license and credentials. Make a quick search on the web to see if the company has good reviews or not. Plumbing repair is a complicated task so be sure to hire only a reputable and reliable company.
- While you are waiting for the professional plumber to arrive, you can try to locate where the pipe burst is. Once you found the break, you can temporarily cover the hole until a professional arrives. If you have cast iron pipes, you can temporarily cover the crack by using epoxy compounds. For other types of pipe, you can use pipe wraps to patch the leak. These wraps are typically available at local hardware stores.
Plumbers 911 Texas at Your Service
Don’t just call any plumbing contractor near you. If you need professional burst pipe repair in Orange, you can always count on Plumbers 911 Texas to deliver plumbing services that are quick and efficient. We have on call plumbing professionals in Orange, TX available 24 hours a day 7 days per week. For burst pipe concerns, you can reach us at (409) 237-3137. Let our experts handle all your plumbing needs!