Are you guilty of pouring used cooking oil down your kitchen sink drain? We hope not. As we have always mentioned on our tips, blogs and posts on our social media accounts, getting rid of grease through the kitchen sink drain is a big no-no. When the temperature in the pipes drop and the environment inside becomes cool enough, the grease that you’ve poured before will eventually solidify and create an obstruction. And you know what will happen next. Your daily activities will be interrupted and you’ll put up with such a great deal of inconvenience. If you’re unfortunately experiencing this plumbing issue now, read on and let us share with you the best way to unclog kitchen sink grease.
1. Wear your rubber gloves. Every time that you’ll work on drains and toilets, make sure that your hands are protected against bacteria. You’ll also be dealing with drain cleaners so it is best to avoid direct skin contact with these things.
2. If you’re already properly suited, get a disposable plastic cup and use it to scoop out any standing water in your kitchen sink.
3. The first method that you can try is the use of boiling hot water. Pouring hot water into the drain will liquefy the hardened oil that’s blocking the pipe. Simply fill a kettle with water and let it boil. Carefully pour the content into the pipe and plug the hole. Leave the sink for a few minutes to let the hot water soften the oil.
4. After some time, remove the plug. Get half a cup of good old baking soda and half a cup of vinegar. Dispense the baking soda into the drain pipe, making sure that it will touch the walls of the tube. Pour the baking soda afterwards. Plug the hole again and let the two ingredients chemically combine.
5. The chemical reaction created by the vinegar and baking soda will fizz out the sticky substances that have accumulated inside your kitchen sink drain pipe. Leave the sink plugged until you can no longer hear any fizzing sound.
6. Once the two ingredients are done with their magic, pour a kettle of boiling hot water into the drain again. Doing so will wash away any remaining ingredients left inside the pipe.
7. Run the kitchen faucet and check if the sink will finally drain smoothly.
We hope that you learned the best way to unclog kitchen sink grease from our blog today. If the problem persists, just call a trusted Coral Gables plumber to fix your sink for you. Plumbers 911 Florida delivers first-rate plumbing services in Coral Gables FL including plumbing fixture repair, kitchen remodeling, drain pipe cleaning, leak detection, water heater service, grease trap installation and many more! Call us at 305-662-0668 (Miami-Dade County FL), 954-468-0512 (Broward County FL), 561-327-6287 (Palm Beach County FL) to schedule a service!
If you’re dealing with nasty and stubborn clogs in your sink drain, watch this video and learn tips on how to remove them!