Sooner or later, your bathtub faucet will start to leak. Its parts will wear out causing seepage and that’s really an inconvenient thing. Just think about all the water that will be wasted because of that continuous drip. And if the problem is really bad, you’ll even put your bathroom at risk of flooding, resulting to damages on your flooring and walls. You surely wouldn’t want that to happen, would you? If you want to fix the issue on your own, just follow this DIY guide we wrote just for you!
1. The first thing that you have to do whenever you’re fixing or installing a plumbing fixture or appliance is to shut off the water source. If your tub has a separate supply valve installed, don’t forget to turn it off. Otherwise, you’ll have to configure your main water supply valve.
2. Now start working on your bathtub faucet. Look for the decorative cap in the fixture and pry it off with a putty knife or your flathead screwdriver. Once you gain access to the screw that the cap covers, loosen it up with your screwdriver. Release the insert from your faucet’s base by digging under its front panel.
3. When you’ve done that, proceed with unscrewing the handle from the wall. It’s considered the most difficult part of the task because the faucet handle gets stuck to the stem at times. Wiggle it off gently. If it won’t budge, use your hair dryer and warm it up. You may also try to pour steaming water onto it.
4. Once you access the parts, inspect the washer. Replace it with a new one and make sure that the replacement is the correct size.
5. To make sure that the faucet will be free from leaks, also replace its handle and insert. Use your screwdriver to install a new handle. Don’t secure it too tightly because doing so will give you a hard time to turn your faucet on. Install a new faucet handle insert into place once you are done. Reassemble the faucet and you’re done.
6. Turn the water supply back on; run the tap and check for leaks.
We hope that our blog today taught you proper bathtub faucet repair. If the problem persists, just look for the most reliable Washington DC plumber. Plumbers 911 Washington DC delivers exceptional plumbing services in Washington DC including faucet repair, leak detection, plumbing fixture repair, home remodeling and many more! Call us now at (877) 932-5325 to schedule a service!
Learn helpful plumbing maintenance tips from your trusted Washington DC plumber! Watch our video now.